Now you’re talking. I might not be a cat person but I am most definitely a Dog person. Previously owned by two Labrador Retrievers; Tessa and Harley, now waiting on the far side of the Rainbow Bridge.
Here’s some info about them, which if you’ve had Dogs yourself, you might recognise.
1. Tessa would test the blackberries on the bushes to see how sweet they were before pulling off the ones which were ripe, and would ignore those which weren’t quite ready. Harley wasn’t that selective. He would just eat any within reach.
2. They would roll on their backs and writhe on the floor in unison, laughing and wagging their tails. Did they both have itchy backs at the same time? Who knows. We would call it ‘Playing Submarines’.
3. They both perfected an intense stare which they never failed to use when they wanted something; to go out, to go home, a treat, anything you had that they thought should be theirs. Tessa had an extra weapon; a strong forepaw with long claws that she would rake down your leg if you ignored the stare. You didn’t ignore that, it was too painful.
4. Tessa lost an eye to cancer when she was 11. It slowed her down for no more than two days, then she was up and at em for over three more years. Amazing how she adapted.
5. They adored swimming as so many Labradors do; in the dew pond, in the river, in the sea. Those all had their own hazards – the vegetation around the dew pond contained an adder nest; the river was always full of swans and ducks, and the beach often contained fish heads where the local fisherman used to cut up their bait and leave behind the bits they didn’t want. And Labs never turn down a free meal, even if they don’t keep it down for long. Nice.
So that’s just a few things about my pups. Miss them still.