I need to make a confession. I am not a Cat person. I have Cat-induced asthma, so staying away from hissy, clawing bundles of fur with rough tongues is probably a good thing for me. But even I have to say that there’s some really cute pics of Cats on the internet. I’ve put some below in case you’ve come across this blog by mistake and need a Cat photo to get you through your day. And yes, I’ll admit they are nice pics, all from http://www.pixabay.com which is a fab site for photos. Anyway, the main point of today’s post is to meet the C criteria in the 2015 A-Z Blogging Challenge by offering some lesser known facts about Cats:
- A Cat can’t climb head first down a tree because every claw on their paws points the same way. To get down from a tree, a Cat must back down. Or someone needs to call a hunky fireman. Hmmmm, *dreaming*.
- A Cat’s jaw can’t move sideways, so it can’t chew large chunks of food.
- A Cat’s nose pad is ridged with a unique pattern, just like the fingerprint of a human.
- The claws on the Cat’s back paws aren’t as sharp as the claws on the front paws – the back claws don’t retract and consequently become worn.
- When a Cat chases its prey, it keeps its head level. Dogs and humans bob their heads up and down.
1,5 Piven, Hanoch. 2009. What Cats Are Made Of. New York, NY: Ginee Seo Books
2,4 Frith-Macdonald, Candida. 2008. Encyclopedia of Cats. New York, NY: Parragon Books Ltd.
3, Clutton-Brock, Juliet. 2004. Cat. New York, NY: DK Publishing, Inc